The Response object is one of the five Sun Chili!Soft ASP built-in objects. The Response object is used to send information to the user. The Response object supports only Cookies as a collection (to set cookie values). Both the Request and Response objects support the following collections:
· QueryString: gets text, such as a name
· Form: gets data from an HTML form
· Cookies: gets the value of application-defined cookie
· ServerVariables: gets HTTP information, such as the server name
The Response object also supports a number of properties and methods. Supported properties are:
· Buffer: buffers page output at the server. When this is set to TRUE, the server will not send a response until all of the server scripts on the current page have been processed, or until the Flush or End method has been called.
· ContentType: sets the type of content (such as text/HTML, Excel, and so forth).
· Expires: sets the expiration based on minutes (when the data in the user's cache for this Web page is considered invalid; for example, expires in 10 minutes).
· ExpiresAbsolute: enables you to set the expiration date to an absolute date and time.
· Status: returns the status line (defined in the HTTP specification for the server).
Supported methods are:
· AddHeader: adds an HTML header with a specified value
· AppendToLog: appends a string to the end of the Web server log file
· BinaryWrite: writes binary data (for example, Excel spreadsheet data)
· Clear: clears any buffered HTML output
· End: stops processing of the script
· Flush: sends all of the information in the buffer
· Redirect: redirects the user to a different URL
· Write: writes into the HTML stream. You can do this by using the construct Response.Write("hello") or the shortcut command <%="hello"%>.
For information about using the ASP built-in objects, see "ASP Built-in Objects Reference" in "Chapter 5: Developer's Reference."
Using Sun Chili!Soft ASP Built-in Objects in this chapter
ASP Response Object in "Chapter 5: ASP Built-in Objects Reference"
Copyright 2002 Sun Microsystems, Inc. All rights reserved. Legal Notice.