Sun Chili!Soft ASP includes five built-in objects--Application, Request, Response, Server, and Session--that handle many common programming tasks. These objects enable you to avoid much of the overhead associated with complex Web programming, so you can focus on creating interesting, interactive Web content rather than on doing low-level programming.
Sun Chili!Soft ASP objects use "methods" to perform some type of procedure and "properties" to store object attributes (such as color, font, or size). The Request and Response objects also contain "collections" (bits of information that are accessed in the same way).
For Web applications requiring more powerful programming, you can use Component Object Model (COM) objects to process data and deliver output, with scripts acting as the "glue" to link COM objects. Sun Chili!Soft ASP also supports JavaBeans, Enterprise JavaBeans (EJB), and Common Object Request Broker Architecture (CORBA) objects. For more information, see "Component Programmer's Reference" in "Chapter 5: Developer's Reference."
This section provides a basic overview of the following built-in ASP objects included with Sun Chili!Soft ASP. For more information, see "ASP Built-in Objects Reference" in "Chapter 5: Developer's Reference."
In this section:
· ASP Application Object Overview: shares application-level information and control settings for the lifetime of the application
· ASP Request Object Overview: gets information from the user
· ASP Response Object Overview: sends information to the user
· ASP Server Object Overview: controls the Web server
· ASP Session Object Overview: stores information about and changes settings for the user's current session
Copyright 2002 Sun Microsystems, Inc. All rights reserved. Legal Notice.